Fontly is a new free App designed for the iPhone to generate interest and appreciation of expressive typography located around the world; from neon signs to hand-painted storefronts.
The idea behind Fontly came from Brendan Ciecko who believed signs were symbols of the past and present, which became visual landmarks of significance and needed to be preserved. There are two main ways of using the app; you can take your own snapshots and add them to the Fontly map or you can view postings from other users in your surrounding area. All the images taken with the app are available to collect and share worldwide. The idea is to create a digital archive filled with examples of unique type and signage that showcase the history of typography and we believe it’s the perfect designer’s tool!
Step by step guide:
- Download the Fontly iPhone app.
- Take a picture of found lettering.
- Title and tag the picture using the available categories.
- Your picture will be automatically geotagged and added to Fontly’s feed, map and website.
- Share on Twitter, and beyond.
To download the app, visit the Fontly homepage at font.ly or find it on the iTunes store.